This week’s brew was more of a plan ahead kind of thing. I will be brewing a barley wine in the next two weeks, so I need yeast. So, how bout a 3 gallon batch to steal the yeast cake from….
Since I will be using Nottingham yeast, why not an good old Brit Brown? Haven’t had a good British Brown ale in a long time. All the ones you find now days are too Americanized.
So I went back into the vault and found o e of my long lost extract brown ales. (Needs a new name)
Basement Brown 3 gallon extract
- 1 can light LME
- 12oz crystal 80
- 8oz carapils
- 8oz biscuit
- 3/4oz EKG
- 1/4oz EKG
- Nottingham yeast
Well for some reason, I could not get Beersmith to work they way I wanted. I don’t know if I was using wrong profile or what, but it wanted me to be using 8+ gallons of water for a 3 gallon batch.
But figuring out an extract batches needs is like nothing.
I took 1/2 gallons of that water and mashed/steeped the grains in the mini masher while I was bringing the rest of the water to boil. Once I got boil I dumped it I to the kettle and got under way.
I did do a full boil with all of the extract. I wanted to get a little darker color since I used the golden light Lme.
Sure looks like a good color going in. As the way with my first rounds of extract beers, I’ll just chuck it in the basement and let it go at what ever temp it is down there. And right now it’s still 58. Perfect for Notty.